Portland Tango Calendars
Purpose / Intent:
This page is the result of a community effort to coordinate workshop scheduling in a way that reduces conflicts, allows a reasonable income to visiting instructors, and maximizes opportunity to Portland dancers to study with important tango maestros.
With such a large and diverse community, there will unavoidably be conflicts, but our hope is to minimize pain by maximizing communication.
These pages attempt to capture the intent and consensus of the organizers from the December 13, 2008 meeting and other communications among the different organizers happened the following years.
PLEASE send us any feedback you may have for improving this effort using the form at the bottom of this page.
This feature is composed of four Google calendars.
- Portland Tango – Milongas – for milongas and practicas
- Portland Tango – Classes – with local instructors
- Portland Tango – Workshops – with visiting instructors, with firm dates
- Portland Tango – Organizers Look-ahead – with visiting instructors with tentative dates
Request access to Calendars
The calendars are open to public viewing, but editing privileges are limited to bona-fides organizers of Portland events.
Request access to the calendars by filling in the Organizer’s Form.
Once you receive our confirmation, to load the tango calendar that you want to edit into your Google calendar edit page, follow these instructions:
- Open your Google calendar
- From the left menu under “Other Calendar” click the plus sign (Add Other Calendars)
- Select “add by URL,” then enter the ID from the list below (cut and paste) for the calendar you want to edit and be included in the list of calendars you want to have access to.
- Portland Tango New – Classes: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/c9rrv3td7u1dcooesqr0muolao%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
- Portland Tango New – Milongas: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/lq6alke74don53b7gc54nfpgh4%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
- Portland Tango New – Workshops: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/r0115kkhdohd1dn90gatv90910%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
- Portland Tango New – Organizers Look-ahead: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/g1asnb62f51sgd5rqagefio1k0%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
Apologies for the convolution, but Google has decided to disable the public calendar search function, so this is what we’re left with.
Please send us feedback on whether it works OK for you or if you have problems by filling in the form at the bottom of this page.
Be sure to put your name as organizer into the details box so people know who to contact if they have questions about your events or need to resolve conflicts.
- Log into your Google Calendar account. You cannot edit the calendars from within the PortlandTango.com website.
- You can get to your Google Calendar account in several ways:
- From your gmail account: click on “Calendar” on the top left menu bar
- Go directly to: http://www.google.com/calendar/render
- Important: When you are editing your event, note the line marked “Calendar” (just above the Description box), and be sure to select the Portland Tango calendar where you want the event to go. If you don’t do this, the event will be put on your personal calendar by default rather than the Tango calendar.
- When hosts and organizers begin negotiation with out-of-town instructors, they should first check the Look-Ahead calendar for possible conflicts with dates being discussed. You should contact organizers of any potentially conflicting events to discuss constraints and options.
- As soon as you have tentative dates for a workshop, you should post the dates onto the Look-Ahead calendar, no matter how tentative the dates may be. If there are more than one possible date, put them all on the calendar. This will give visibility to other organizers to avoid conflicts and/or open a dialogue to adjust schedules.
- When dates are firm for your workshop, move the calendar listing off of the “Look-Ahead” calendar and onto the “Workshops” calendar. This requires two steps:
- Open your event details, and click “More Actions” at the top
- Select “Copy to Portland Tango – Workshops” and remember to click Save.
- Then go back to the Look-Ahead calendar, open the event again, and delete it from the Look-Ahead calendar.
- This will keep the color-coding accurate – green for confirmed dates, pink for tentative dates.